Anxiety is the most common psychological problem treated at In Step. Impacting children, teens, and adults, this debilitating disorder impacts a suffering person’s thoughts, body, and behavior. Anxiety becomes especially painful when it interferes with typical development and life’s activities.
Therapy can help modify the core components of anxiety: anticipating an undesirable future, imagining the worst, and avoidance behaviors. Understanding the connection between thoughts, feelings and behaviors can help to generate alternative explanations for events. Therapeutic methods like cognitive restructuring, relaxation exercises, mindfulness and exposure, when employed thoughtfully and professionally are healing.
In Step also offers individual therapy for children, teens, and adults with anxiety issues.
For more information about our Anxious Child groups, please contact us.
Fairfax 703-876-8480 Sterling 703-433-5771
Take a look at these articles about anxiety:
- Dear Cathi: Anxiety Meltdowns
- Social Anxiety in Children
- Shy, quiet, anxious??? Is your child being described with these words?
- Socially Anxious Teens
- Tired, But Can’t Sleep? Learn to Turn the Thoughts Off.
- Perfection Causing Stress?
- Know the Signs of Bullying
- “Mom, I just don’t fit in…”
- Back to School, Routines, Sports and Anxiety
- Cyber Bullying: Not So Typical Bully