Coping Skills Development: Northern Virginia
Although there are individuals who seem to bounce back from the most traumatic of experiences, many children and adults struggle to cope with life’s stressors and pressures. For these people, the optimistic, flexible attitude is developed, not innate.
If you and your family members are able to answer “yes” to the following questions, then you have developed the necessary resilience to cope with life’s challenges:
- Are you able to cope effectively with mistakes and disappointments?
- Can you consistently bounce back from an adverse event quickly and easily?
- Do you tend to see your glass as “half full”?
- Can you deal with every day challenges easily?
- Do you frequently feel special and appreciated?
- Are you able to set realistic goals and expectations and then follow through on them?
- Do you have confidence in his/her abilities to solve problems?
- Do you view mistakes and setbacks as challenges rather than stressors to avoid?
- Do you have a variety of coping strategies to use in a challenging situation?
If, on the other hand, you or your family member(s), struggles in any of these areas, a kind, experienced therapist can help you and your family members view the world differently; with increased self-efficacy and the belief that goals can be accomplished and problems can be solved effectively.
For more information about our services, please contact us.
Fairfax 703-876-8480 Sterling 703-433-5771